Friday, January 2, 2009

And we're off

Though it has taken me awhile to get with the times, I'm finally throwing my hat into the Stygian depths of the blogosphere, specifically to discuss my favorite hobby for the last seventeen years: tabletop roleplaying games.

I've been running a D&D 4th edition game since August. I admit, shamefully, that I had held on to the hope that a new edition might bring my favorite roleplaying game back on track.

Yeah, about that...

Fourth edition is a steaming pile of excrement. I can say this based on several months of playing and DMing it. It delivers absolutely nothing outside of hour long miniature-based combats and precisely balanced encounters, finding a specifically balanced amount of treasure before leveling after ten prescribed encounters so that you can get more Giant Dick Vin Diesel Powers. Want to do anything other than fight? You can engage in the nonsensical, inorganic skill challenge system whereby anything your characters do such as negotiation, fleeing from enemies or a trek through the wilderness is reduced to a list of skills you can roll against a static difficulty and luck quickly determines if you succeed or fail without all that faggoty roleplaying crap so you can get back to the hour long combats.

As a miniatures combat game, 4th edition does pretty well for itself....but WotC already publishes a miniatures combat game; in fact they publish several, one of which already carries the D&D name.

While I could go on with a laundry list of things that have disappointed or just plain enraged me about 4e, I think I'd rather turn my blogging to something more constructive: discussing what I do like about roleplaying games. I also hope that the people who might come to read this blog are "the choir" and aren't here to argue the merits of 4th edition, which in itself is pointless; if you like it, good for you...don't let my crankiness dissuade you from doing what you want. Likewise, you probably aren't going to convince me that I like 4th edition without lobotomizing me.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings!

    Great Blog my friend!

    I am quite curious to know more about your criticisms of 4E. Would you be so kind as to discuss in detail the things you hate about 4E?

    I should note--I am definitely an *Old School Grognard*--and have zero interest in playing 4E. Your detailed analysis and critique of 4E would be most welcome, as I am curious, passionate, but also interested in the system analysis to see how they have deviated and corrupted our noble hobby that has endured for over 30 years!

    Semper Fidelis,

    SHARK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!

    I would recommend reading my entry from January 7th, 2009, as it outlines my criticisms in broad strokes. If you read that entry and want to know more, just let me know and I can email you. (Rather than post a lengthy comment)

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete