Saturday, March 28, 2009

AD&D Goodies

So, recently my reading of OSRIC inspired me to get my hands on the old AD&D books. Thanks to one of my favorite websites of all time, Abebooks.com, I was able to procure the PHB, DMG, MM, and OE for about $25, with the vast majority of that cost being shipping from four different vendors. The MM arrived today, with all of its Lurker Above Dick DM Monster Goodness. Hopefully the rest of them will arrive during the week... the missus goes out of town next weekend and I'll have plenty of time to pour through them.

I'm contemplating going after the MMII, Fiend Folio, Wilderness and Dungeon Survival guides... probably not Unearthed Arcana, which I never owned but have yet to hear many good things about.

I would also kind of like to get my hands on the four Hackmaster "class" books, but these are long term goals, as I have no plans to run any old school fantasy in the foreseeable future. (Though I must admit I've got that itch in the back of my mind.) I figure I can collect them slowly over the weeks and months.

3 comments:

  1. Personally I get more use out of the Unearthed Arcana than both Survival Guides put together. There's nothing wrong with most of the spells and magic items, which together comprise a pretty dang big portion of the book.

    Back in the day the major problems were the underdark races, the barbarian and cavalier classes, and the new uber method for generating statistics. Put those altogether and your PC group ends up being way overclocked for the level range given for any published adventure of the area.

    So while UA seems responsible for wrecking more than one campaign back in the day, I don't hesitate to cherry pick from it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely get UA before the Survival Guides!

    There was a surprising amount of good third-party stuff out there, too, that you might be able to find cheap. These supplements, like Mayfair's Role-Aids books, were generally marketed as "generic" supplements, but were clearly for AD&D. I just got a copy of Bard Games' Arcanum and am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input, guys. Now that I think about it, most of the criticism of UA comes from the additional classes. Have you guys seen the Hackmaster class books? In one of them they have Holy Knight, a class that has, IIRC, all the features of a Paladin and Cavalier simultaneously. The only saving grace is that you have to have the stat requirements of both classes, making it a tough class to qualify for even with the most generous attribute generation methods. I'll have to check it out.

    Also, I wasn't really aware of any 3rd party material for previous editions (except for Arduin Grimoire.) I had thought third party material was a child of the OGL. I might have to see if I can find anything on Abe or the viper's nest that is Ebay.

    ReplyDelete