Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Guess I'm Just a Consumer Whore

I was thinking about it tonight, and I realized that, while I would like to own hard copies of the various retro clones, I find that I have little need for them. My copy of the Rules Cyclopedia is quite functional, and I have recently come into possession of a serviceable copy of the Gamma World 2nd edition boxed set, and a few weeks before that I got my hands on all the AD&D 1st edition core books. As much as I like S&W, LL, MF, OSRIC, and all the rest, I find that I have no need to spend money on them.

For some reason, this conclusion makes me feel somehow "left out." Logically, I understand that if you have the original rules, you have all that the clones offer and more. (Well, not quite... some of them are different like M74 and MF, but you get the idea) However, I seem to have entered into some kind of collector's frenzy, buying books for the sake of having them. Perhaps I am so simple that a shiny new cover is all it takes to catch my interest. Perhaps I am some kind of very specialized bibliophile. Gads.

I don't think my recent interest in these "authentic" versions of the old games is entirely motivated by nostalgia, since I never actually played AD&D 1st, GW 2nd, and Star Frontiers when they were in their heyday; I started with AD&D 2, Gamma World 4th, and so on. Granted, I did have the Rules Cyclopedia when it was a current item, but there really isn't a retro clone of that version of D&D yet, and while LL and S&W share the same roots, they are somewhat different animals.

Perhaps the cure for this condition is less thinking and more playing.

3 comments:

  1. I find I'm in the same boat. I have hard-copies of all the ones that offer them (I think), but aside from the LL Monsters of Myth book, I've not used any of them in actual play. Monsters of Myth is in a different category, of course, since it's just like another Monster Manual that I can plug into my AD&D game.

    I am a collector, of course, so that's part of the appeal. But I am also consciously spending money on the "old school" products to demonstrate support for the old-school revival as a whole. Will anyone really notice my stand? I doubt it, but it makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a collection of first and second edition books, and have not yet felt the impulse to buy a hard copy of a simulacrum game. I do usually buy the adventures, but I don't really feel left out. I did buy copies of the Castles & Crusades books, but mainly because they had a great Christmas sale.

    I probably will buy a bunch of simulacrum rulebooks as gifts for my friends in the future (as I did with C&C), but I feel no need to have one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have copies of all of the retro-clones in print because I enjoy doing what I did so many years ago with my D&D and 1E books-sitting outside on a sunny afternoon reading away and letting my imagination soar.

    ReplyDelete