Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cleric Collaboration

So, last night I did something unusual and allowed a cleric player to come up with his own deity. I'm a bit of a control freak at times (and I believe anyone who regularly DMs has at least a bit of control freak in them) so typically I insist on making the players choose from one of the deities I've created. This time around, I've only created one, and his temple is the only officially recognized one in the land, so the cleric play had a bit more leeway. (He'll be of the wandering sort I mentioned in my previous post on clerics.)

I'm thinking this might be a remedy of my usual dilemma with clerics and their non-piety. This player actually created a name, common nickname, and commandments for his deity. He has actually imposed extra restrictions (though minor things) on his character. For instance, his deity is all about freedom and self-sufficiency (no wonder the powers that be banned it), so his character is not allowed to use mind influencing spells on people. (Though he could use remove fear on someone so long as they were magically or supernaturally compelled to fear, to correct the influence on their mind.)

I think that a player is more likely to have his cleric pay more than lip service to a deity and commandments he invented. The deity fits reasonably well into the setting and I'm actually quite excited about this.



...oh, and something further on the subject of players collaborating on the game world: there are now pseudo-gypsies in my setting. The thief player stated she wanted to play a gypsy, so now we have an ethnic group of mixed human and elven blood descended from migrant peoples and valley elves. They are identical to half-elves for the purposes of game mechanics.

Hrm...maybe world building is a little easier when you let the players give you a little help. (Just a little, though...)

1 comment:

  1. Hrm...maybe world building is a little easier when you let the players give you a little help. (Just a little, though...).

    Hello sand-box! Get into the flow and let the players define the world around them. I was allowed to do the create a deity thing in a PBP I joined last year, run by Scott Driver (World of Thool). I emailed him details on the pantheon and its doctrine for my Cleric. Although the game fizzled, I thought it was an awesome way to let the player help flesh out the setting.

    ReplyDelete