Sunday, June 7, 2009

Old Dragon Issues

Today I decided to loiter at my LGS (I have deliberately excluded the F in this acronym due to a number of reasons.) The used games section was looking a little picked through and currently published games have little to offer me at the moment, but I did chance upon a few old issues of Dragon that I picked up:

-Issue #109, with the customized character class article for basic D&D

-Issue #130, with an alchemist NPC class that, with a little modification, would work just fine as a PC class and might save me a lot of work writing one up on my own.

-Issue #142, just because it contains a preview of the upcoming AD&D 2nd edition and such a thing was too good to pass up. I was surprised to find some additions to the Cyclopedia mass combat system, plus a mass combat system for Gamma World, presumably 2nd or 3rd edition. I noticed there is some material for Star Frontiers and Traveller, though I haven't had a chance to read those parts yet.

I might start picking up one or two old issues every week. I love the "odds and ends" style of the old magazines.

2 comments:

  1. Nice find! 109 and 130 are two of my favorites. The stuff in the Ares section was usually good, and did a lot to keep my old Star Frontiers games going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, Troll... I'd actually done a little hunting for issue 109some time ago, without success... and here I found it completely by accident. Who knows what I might find when I return this weekend?

    ReplyDelete