Monday, January 18, 2010

Al-Qadim!

I was at the LGS this evening, since I realized I have not left the house in two days. I was fortunate enough to discover a copy of the main Al-Qadim book for five bucks. I find that much of the material is easily converted to 1st edition, and if I ever ran this (or included a Middle Eastern type land in my game) I could make some of the kits into full-fledged subclasses to replace some of the less appropriate classes. The AQ book has some very quality, evocative artwork in it. I'm very pleased with my find. I think I sometimes perplex the shop owner in the way that I blow past the new stuff and spend most of my time digging in the used game boxes, but dammit, that's how I roll. That is, of course, unless you OSR guys can get some product into distribution and onto shelves this year...

6 comments:

  1. I'll see if I can help you out in that department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your find! I had the opportunity to pick up the boxed set last year for £10, I think. I passed it up and have regretted it ever since, as I always wanted to give Al-Qadim a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up the book about 2 years ago for $10CDN and it was a blast for the production value alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @TS- Yes, it would be nice to be interested in something in the "New" section again.

    @Matthew- Have you tried ABE? (www.abebooks.com)? I've seen a large number of UK retailers on the site, and it's where I bought several of my old school books... I find it less aggravating than Ebay.

    @Zzarchov- Yes, in terms of sheer prettiness, AQ stands up to any slick new book to roll of the presses today. Granted, it doesn't have quite the bullet-stopping thickness of Pathfinder or Rogue Trader...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, not a bad idea, though. I have seen quite a lot of still sealed Al-Qadim stuff on UK ebay for reasonable prices, but not the boxed set lately. Chances are I will end up ordering it from Noble Knight Games, but other options are always welcome. :D

    ReplyDelete