Thursday, January 28, 2010

Swag'd

Earlier this week I was contacted by Mark Plemmons of Kenzer & Co. He offered me a free PDF copy of HackMaster Basic, a book I had been contemplating several months ago. I graciously accepted, and shall post a review once I've had a chance to peruse the file. This will be the second PDF I have received from a publisher as the result of my blogging. Typically I don't do formal "reviews," but I have shared my thoughts on many of the products I've purchased since I starting this thing. I do want to publicly thank Mr. Plemmons for sending me the gift. I have flipped through a hard copy of HMB that is in stock at my LGS, but I have not had time to properly dig in. I will give HMB the dubious honor of being one of about three books in the "current/new" section to actually pique my interest. (As an aside, I'm seriously looking forward to seeing OSR stuff on the shelves, because my trips to nearby gaming stores are becoming increasingly shorter and more disappointing, what with 4E, WFRP3, Pathfinder, and a slew of other things I will have no truck with.)

Speaking of which, I received copies of both Rob Conley's Majestic Wilderlands and Jim Raggi's No Dignity in Death. I find myself exceedingly strapped for time due to my recent change in vocation, but I shall make a concerted effort to reserve some time this Saturday morning for the sole purpose of reading my new gaming materials.

I will provide a bit of feedback from one of my AD&D players regarding Rob Conley's book: after flipping through it, he said something to the effect of "this is definitely it's own thing." (I do believe he intended this comment in a favorable light.) I am already quite taken with many of the sub-classes. Further thoughts shall follow when I have time for more than a quick once-over.

Game on, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

    Thanks
    Rob

    ReplyDelete