Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eight months!

It was eight months ago today that I started my AD&D campaign, and I am proud to say we're still running and have thus far missed only two sessions. Of the original group of six, four players remain, though only one of the original characters is still alive. The game went from being fairly standard AD&D to having some Vance-bits to being a Gamma World/Mutant Future crossover to flirting with some Zelazny/Amber influence, with an option on returning to the "ordinary" fantasy world from whence they came any session now. (Of course, I do have some surprises lined up...) Our youngest player quit again, this time for good, as he does not enjoy playing via Skype. (I think he and his dad ought to just move back, of course!) A potential local has been following my blog and shown interest in joining. My commuting player moved into my neighborhood about a month ago and rejoined the game, though with a different character. (Now that I think about it, his old one was never actually killed... in fact, his fate is rather ambiguous.)

Leveling has been a little slow, if only because the party has had some trouble keeping its treasure, and I had to get adjusted to the AD&D way of doing things, although I do not do experience as written. Many of our sessions are a bit shorter due to travel times on the part of the players, lingering technology problems, and a variety of other factors. Still, we soldier on, and the players keep coming back each week, so I must be doing something right.

Anyway, this post was largely self-indulgent. I still look forward to my game with each week, and I have a lot of great ideas I want to try. I've changed my DMing style quite a bit from previous campaigns, and I've moved outside of my usual favorite tropes and trappings to be included in a D&D game. I would say that this game has been influenced a lot by authors I hadn't read much until relatively recently, and I have been more "experimental" as a DM. Let's see how long we can keep this crazy thing going.

3 comments:

  1. Big congrats on the big 2/3 of a year marker! Here's to another 8.

    Please keep blogging, too--I love reading Save vs. Poison.

    PS--I loved the "as I hate...all Montagues" line from your last post. Cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite an achievement Ryan, eight months going strong and just two sessions skipped. The crossovers of your game are very interesting- you've got Vance, Zelazny and even Gamma World. Game On!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, guys. If you ever happen to find yourself in the bustling city of Omaha, I'll save a chair for you!

    ReplyDelete