Sunday, February 21, 2010

I play Deadlands

Since the Sunday Warhammer group hasn't been meeting for some time now, another one of the players in my AD&D game decided to run Deadlands (the shiny new Savage Worlds version) tonight.

The short verdict: I like it.

I haven't played Savage Worlds since 2007, and I haven't played Deadlands since about 2004 (and that was the "classic" version of the rules). For all my gripes about the Deadlands meta-setting, it is still a fun game to play. (My friend has decided he doesn't much care for the meta-setting, so more power to him) The evening consisted mainly of character generation and a short combat (your classic Western bar fight) to get things rolling.

I like that Savage Worlds moves fast. I like that Savage Worlds puts simplicity over strict "realism." While I first balked at the idea that one skill handles all forms of hand-to-hand combat, I realized that D&D handles fighting in a very similar fashion. No, it isn't skill based, but in most basic iterations of D&D use your class and level to determine how well you hit in all combat. Even when you add weapon proficiencies into the game, your character is still equally skilled with all weapons he is proficient with (of course, there's also specialization, but let us not split hairs).  If I can accept it in D&D, I can accept it in Savage Worlds.

This is also the first time I have played something non-fantasy in quite awhile. (I never did return to the Shadowrun group I mentioned back in January) It's nice to shake things up, genre-wise, once in awhile.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the importance of mixing things up. Variety, spice of life and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. :D

    I've only played Classic Deadlands, back in '96 or so, but have played two or three sessions of SW.

    Something about SW just doesn't sit well with me; some sort of intrinsic mechanical aspect that seems to dwell in all minimalist systems, but seems especially pronounced in SW, but I haven't put my finger on it.
    --Closest thing I can think of is that it requires a suspension of disbelief in the system's functionality on a granular level of detail (as you noted, and solved), for the game to actually function mathematically.

    Either way, I was so impressed with the quality of the Pirates of the Spanish Main SW game that I had to purchase it. Good buy, too, as it is (as of last check) OOP.

    ReplyDelete