Saturday, February 20, 2010

New books

Today the missus and I decided to go down to the used book store with a crate of dust-covered DVDs and books from the "we will never use these again and forgot that we owned most of them" category of personal belongings. With the resultant cash, we proceeded to acquire further books. (Just what we need) I added two books to my gaming library:

1. Unknown Armies- This is a game that I really, really used to want to play about seven or eight years ago. I'm not sure why I never did, but this thing was right up my alley back in those days. I have no idea if I would enjoy such a thing now, but the parts I skimmed have been very entertaining. My first impression is that it is like an older school White Wolf/oWoD game, but with the whiny artiste crap* turned down a bit and the ass kickery turned up. Even if it is not compatible with my shifted tastes, it was only six bucks, and I can at least say that I read it. I appear to have scored a first edition copy, though I'm not one hundred percent sure there ever was a second edition.

2. Mongoose's version of Runequest. I have to admit I was always curious about RQ, but never to the extent that I would pay full price. On the other hand, less than half price with a further ten percent discount sounded just about right. I haven't skimmed enough to form a first impression, but I have read enough to know that there are something like five or six magic systems, and only one is present in the core book. This rankles me somewhat, as I would have liked at least a taste of the other systems, but the industry exists to sell books, after all. I'm still not sure why I compulsively buy new fantasy games, when I don't think I've run anything fantasy that wasn't some incarnation of D&D in more than ten years.


*Yes, I know I used to like that sort of thing, but I find I no longer have much of a tolerance for games that try to be "edgy" and books that are filled with quotes from New Age books and bands I don't listen to anymore. This is one of the reasons I like the nWoD so much.


Oh, and by the by... this is my 200th post on Save vs. Poison! Thanks for reading, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to play UA. The different schools of magic seem really interesting.

    And congrats on 200!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!
    The way I look at it is that books can be just fun reading, even rule books of games you'll never play.

    ReplyDelete