Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Deck of Encounters 2

I love the Deck of Encounters 2. I've loved the DoE2 since I was a lad of fourteen or so. I'm not sure what happened to my original set, but sometime in college I took great pains to acquire a new copy via Ebay. I still have the cards, though they rest loose leaf in a small basket, the original box having been destroyed long ago. I'm fairly sure I'm missing some encounter cards as well.

The encounters are a pretty varied lot in terms of level, combat vs. non-combat, terrain, and so forth. I usually tried to sort them by terrain and level group. There were some encounters I loved so much that they appear in virtually every campaign I ever run at least once. (None of them in my current AD&D game so far... must remedy that.) If I had only one complaint, it would be that quite a few of them reference material from the Complete Handbook series, though it's easy enough to run the encounters without it. (Their mention strikes me as more of a product placement than anything else.)




Oddly enough, I have never owned the first Deck of Encounters.

2 comments:

  1. Strangely, I never owned either Deck. Please tell me more about them.

    With Regards,
    Flynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came out in the early 90's, if I recall... two volumes, each containing lots of cards with encounters on them. The front of the card had a fairly useless/arbitrary coding system with regards to "danger level", etc. On the back side of each card is a description of each encounter: where it takes place, how to fit it into your game, possible solutions, etc. Each card also had "quick stats" for any monsters or important NPCs.

    If you're interested, you can usually find one or the other set on Ebay or similar places for between $10-20. I'll tell you straight up that the amount of gaming fun I've had from them over the years is definitely worth the money. The encounters are also described well enough that you can take the basic idea and re-stat it for your edition of choice (or perhaps another fantasy game altogether.) Even during my d20 days, I still used the Deck of Encounters quite often in my campaigns. I always wondered why WotC never put out something like this for 3rd edition.

    Does that answer your questions, or is there something you're curious about that I didn't cover?

    ReplyDelete