Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reading an RPG Book In Public: Been There, Done That

I do not observe Read an RPG Book in Public Week, because I've been doing that since I was about 14 years old. I have read RPG books in school lunchrooms and libraries, at the student union in college, in bus stops and while riding buses, at Jimmy John's during lunch breaks.... I see no reason to go out of my way to do it now.

I must say, however, that reading these books in public has never lead to anything good or productive in my life. The "uninitiated" do not ask what I'm reading and then take interest. If anyone speaks to me at all, it is the rare fellow gamer encountered randomly, and these encounters have been awkward at best and traumatizing at worst. You know a conversation is going south when the gamer you just me immediately segues into a story about their personal knife/sword collection and their expulsion from public school for carrying weapons, or when they talk about their latent psychic powers and offer to do an "energy reading." You find yourself tempted to jump on the next bus even if you don't know where it goes...

7 comments:

  1. I thought you promised not to talk about how we met?

    The most I've ever done in regards to public role-playing is to be asked what I'm up to by a co-worker as I edit a zine at lunch. I just say, "I'm editing something i wrote for some friends." and leave it at that. If they press for details, I tell them about my extensive collection of swords and offer to read their psychic membranes and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw two folks reading rpg books in public...they were both pretty sterotypical one was dressed like Kevin Smith and they both were wearing trenchcoats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally read a roleplaying book every day in public on my bus ride to work. I have actually had several good conversations with strangers who had no idea what D&D was who were interested by the pretty pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carl - people talk to you on the bus to work?

    We Brits just don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost everytime I go to the bookstore cafe and decide to do a bit of work there I have my gaming books sprawled across the table. While a handful are buried in their laptops studing heart tissue, another handful are reading some literary masterpiece and the rest seem to be looking at technical magazines. Only once has someone asked me about the maps and books. Then the goober went to leave and knocked all my crap off my table with his big hip. He folded my map, I was not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny enough I was showing my boss my deadlands book and I didn't even know what the day was

    ReplyDelete