Saturday, May 29, 2010

Presents From the Wife

The missus was at the used book store last night. They were having a 20% off everything sale, so she decided to pick me up a few things:

-Another copy of the AD&D PHB (wizard cover, my preference) She didn't know it was the same book, but it's never bad to have extra PHBs around during a game session. Also, this one appears to be in slightly better condition than the one I bought previously.

-Another copy of the AD&D DMG, but this one has the cover I wanted and couldn't get. It has the cover with the green robed fellow throwing open a pair of huge doors. I always vastly preferred this cover to the one with the efreet on it, which I consider to be a fairly crappy picture.

-The Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, which I have never owned and don't really know much about. Flipping through it, there is a boat load of information about subterranean adventures, which I often have a problem mapping and writing. There also seem to be non-weapon proficiencies (quick, true believers, get your torches and pitchforks) and the book seems to assume that the owner must also own Unearthed Arcana (which I do), as information about the acrobat and cavalier were included on some of the tables.

So thanks to the missus for getting these for me, and for a song, no less. (I think they were four or five bucks a shot after the discount) I think at this point, I only have to get a few more books before I have a relatively complete collection.
(Although, I think a collection is never really complete...)

4 comments:

  1. Good haul! On my last visit to the local used book store there were no copies of 1st ed. or 3.5 PHBs or DMGs but I did fine a Hacklopedia of Beast for $2.00.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The revised cover DMG was the first DMG I ever owned. I used it immensely in my youth, eventually switching over to the Efreet cover when it became waaay too destroyed. Perhaps someday, I'll find a decent copy myself.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! What a great wife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your missus is one fine lady Ryan.

    And I agree with you on the DMG. The wizard+doors cover had more mystique.

    ReplyDelete