Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Maybe I *Don't* Need the Whole Collection

Today I found myself at the LGS once again. I found a copy of the AD&D 1st Edition Wilderness Survival Guide for five bucks.I was all set to buy it, but then I cracked it open. "Optional Rule: Relative Humidity."

Paging through it, my perception of the book is that it is a heap of random crap to screw the players with. None of it is particularly devastating, just tedious and, in my opinion, a little spiteful. Yes, all these elements are realistic. Yes, it's harder to start a fire in certain climates. Yes, food might spoil or humidity might affect you... but the book struck me as nothing more than a hindrance to the player characters. I could find absolutely nothing in the book that did not bog the DM down with tedious administrative duties related to the local climate, and saddle the players with a bunch of additional penalties for things.

I did, however, buy a copy of "The Red Mausoleum", a module that is touted as being specifically being compatible with OSRIC. I am in the process of reading it so far, and I do enjoy it. I think it was money better spent than if I had picked up the aforementioned Book of Irritating Penalties*.


*Yes, I know some of you like to bitch slap your players because they didn't bring enough blankets, or because they shouldn't truck around in their metal armor all the time, and I respect that. Hell, I've heaped woe on plenty of player characters who wander around with obvious gaps in their preparation. However, I just don't see what a book of fire starting probabilities and information on the mechanical effects of humidity is going to do but slow me down or be forgotten when I'm in the heat of the DMing moment.

9 comments:

  1. I have the Dungeoneers survival guide in the basement. I really need some basement flooding that selectively destroys just that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the hate?
    --It is purely optional to read or own, as well as implement.
    ---It may be the first Caving exposure that someone has that then leads them to read a non-fiction book.

    I just don't get the hate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TS, did I not adequately explain my beef? It's the Big Book of Screwing Your Players.

    (or were you talking about Dungeoneer's Survival, there?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why the hate?
    --It is purely optional to read or own, as well as implement.
    ---It may be the first Caving exposure that someone has that then leads them to read a non-fiction book.
    I just don't get the hate.


    Gooo? TS, you're awesome! Time to share the love on the DSG.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the DSG and as far as I can remember, my brother had the WSG. When I began to re-acquire the books, these two were not on the list. I just don't feel the need to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WSG is less useful than the DSG.
    --I admit it.

    If I must rescind the comment, I do so with the sense that I was addled under the influence of Sudafed. and that the WSG is in fact a lesser work to the DSG.

    I also disavow my tenure with the Peoples' Automatic Union, and the wet work I did for them in NC 1122, of which I am not able to discuss any further.

    Oh, and no rabbits were harmed in the making of this recantation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, you needn't rescind anything. This isn't one of those blogs where the blogger frowns on dissent. If you think the survival guides are boss, say it loud and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loud and proud, no.
    --They simply are what they are.

    My original comment was a knee-jerk reply to what I mis-read/was bombed out of my brain with mucus and pills as being the DSG, which I think fairly rawks as a read, not as rules.

    WSG is less kewel, to be certain. :D

    ReplyDelete