Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Refocusing My Gaming

Well, my AD&D game is thoroughly decimated, much to my dismay. Player attendance issues are now semi-permanent, and we don't seem to ever make quorum. I have suspended the game until one of the more reliable players returns from his summer in California.
In the meantime, one of the players has offered to run Dark Heresy in the interim. Given the attendance and, as of late, focus issues that my group has, I am considering this to be Plan B.

The cancellation of the Vampire game I was invited to was quite disappointing, especially since it sounds like it was canceled due to lack of player attendance. Oy.
I find that I have a hankering for World of Darkness, particularly Vampire, but with the angst turned down and the action turned up. Referring to my previous post, I think I'd like to see it 65-75% Blade and 25% Interview. I was working on tweaking the combat in NWoD, but my recent forays into Big Purple lead me to a series of excellent house rules that manage to keep combat down to one roll while resolving the wonky mechanical problems that the new system creates. I plan to dinker with the gun damage and a few other details, but finding these rules has saved me a lot of time and actually given me more motivation to work on this. A Vampire and/or Hunter game might be due from me in the future.

The RIFTS game draws near. I secured at a reasonable discount and it should be arriving any day now. I have been in fairly frequent communication with several members of the group and they seem like a friendly, enthusiastic bunch. It seems that they rotate GM duties and run several campaigns at once. In a game with as many varied setting elements as RIFTS, this might not be a bad thing.

I continue to peruse Nightbanespawn. I had considered trying to start a conversion to NWoD, but this seems incredibly time consuming. I find that the concepts and settings in the book keep creeping into my thoughts. I find that I want to run it, despite the mechanical "ironing out" that I think it needs.

My Savage Worlds "aerial steampunk" game is still rattling around in my head, and now I find myself reading over Dragon Fist and wondering if it might be worth a run. Too many irons in the fire. Hopefully Dark Heresy will be a go, and I can take advantage of my summer schedule to nail these ideas down into something more concrete. This blog will make an excellent sounding board for just that purpose.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get a chance to play some V:tR.

    We like the new WoD mechanics for the most part. We like how combat is reduced to a single roll: attribute + weaponry skil + weapon modifier - defense (if applicable) and/or armor.

    easy peasy!

    However, we struggle with predicting outcomes. One time you throw 9 dice and get one success and another time you throw two dice and end up with three or four successes. It's whacky.

    Peace,
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian-

    That's exactly my problem as well... the one roll, as written, is just too abstract for me, and our group often struggled to come to terms with people blasting away with shotguns and swinging great axes and getting one or two points of damage at a time. Armory Reloaded has those "hacks" that fix things a bit, but the web page I was visiting rebuilds the "one roll" concept from the ground up. I like it, but I can see that combat using those rules is going to be a lot deadlier... which is exactly what I'm going for.

    Combat/damage aside, I have no problem with the new task resolution system, and I actually find that it isn't weighted against the players the way the last iteration was. (Oh, those success-canceling 1's drove us crazy.)

    ReplyDelete