Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Morning After

I certainly did a lot of tinkering yesterday, and a lot of posting about it last night. Today I wonder if perhaps I went too far.

On the other hand, I am gradually building "my" D&D, using Cyclopedia as a baseline. This is as good a time as any to give it a test run. I was actually ready to just do BTB Cyclopedia, but a few of my potential players have indicated that they are hungry for a few more options. We'll see what happens. If it turns out to be crap, I can disavow all knowledge of the game and answer "no hablo ingles" when anyone brings it up.

2 comments:

  1. You run into the classic problem (for me at least) with tinkering. If nothing else, it's easier to remember a minimum of scratch house rules rather than a bunch.

    A couple suggestions:

    - pick 1 or 2 things you absolutely can't stand, and change 'em (for example give max hit points at first level, do away with alignment language except for clerics, and add your bind wounds rules).

    - then allow everything else to develop "in play" as necessary. Read magic and raise dead only become issues as they become issues; for example: the party finds a spell scroll and doesn't have the "read magic" spell...do you want them to use it or not? The characters go looking for a temple to raise a dead companion...at that point you can provide the availability (or lack thereof) of the proper temples/sects. Same holds true for weapon mastery.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only things I'll probably explain to them at the beginning are class selection. Everything else will come up when it comes up. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete