Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Little Gaming Curiosity

I was at ye old used book store the other day when I ran across a copy of AEon, better known as Trinity.

AEon was White Wolf's first sci-fi game, published in 1997. (I was a misguided high school kid at the time) It would later be complimented by two prequel games, Aberrant and Adventure! (Yes, the exclamation point is part of the title)

White Wolf was sued by MTV because at the time they were promoting the animated series Aeon Flux, which is pretty cool (I own it on DVD) but has really nothing to do with the premise of AEOn. Unfortunately, MTV had more money and more lawyers, so White Wolf changed the game to Trinity. As I recall, stickers were sent out and put on the first batch, with all subsequent batches having the new title printed on it from the get-go. I found a copy that still had AEon on the cover, so I snapped it up. (I also have Nightspawn before it was sued into Nightbane)

I always wanted to try Trinity, but I could never find anyone who played it, and my gaming friends at the time were either vehemently opposed to playing anything White Wolf, or vehemently refused to play anything other than White Wolf's "Big Three." (Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Mage the Ascension) I'm not sure I'll get to run it with my current gamer base, but at least I'll have the chance to check it out. I also dig on owning original versions of things that were later forcibly changed.

Another note about AEon: the book comes in a "folio" format; you have to "unbuckle" the cover to get to the game within, which is spiral bound. It's an odd duck, and for six bucks (less with my special discount) I could not resist adding it to my collection.

2 comments:

  1. Trinity/AEOn is the only White Wolf game I've actually played. When I joined my old Yamanashi group, that's what they were playing. Once the guy who was running it and his girlfriend moved away, we switched to D&D with a few new players, but it was a fun game while it lasted.

    Kinda like Mystery Men set in Blade Runner's future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Aberrant.

    I was actually just thinking about doing a Trinity post the other day (mainly because I've been doing so much brain-bashing about psionics). But I really dislike Trinity's premise.
    : )

    ReplyDelete