Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Plug and A Purchase

Firstly, for those of you who like things of a post-apocalyptic or Dystopian bent, check out my wife's blog. She's over at sommerleigh.com (you can also click on the sidebar.) Her blog deals mainly with young adult lit. Even if that isn't your thing, you should check out the last week's posts, as she is having a Dystopian-themed week, and really, who doesn't love Dystopia? (So long as it's someone else's Dystopia...)


In my latest bout of collecting-as-a-substitute-for-doing-something-productive, I acquired the first edition of Palladium's fantasy game for five bucks. (Most of which was shipping, mind you.) Ever since I picked up the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy, I have been morbidly fascinated with the early iterations of the Palladium system, before it all went awry. Palladium Fantasy the First has no SDC, no jacked up physical attribute arms race, combat abilities are tied to your class and level (with the men-at-arms group of classes being better at it), and skills seem to be less of an enormous mess.

In other news...

-The D&D game at my kung-fu school seems to be waning. I'm down to about three players, though one of them has expressed interest in starting a Fantasy HERO campaign away from the school.
-My old AD&D group (most of them, anyway) want to get back together. They have almost unanimously expressed interest in a sci-fi game. I am leaning towards Mutant Future. My short list had also previously included Traveller (Mongoose version) and Shadowrun 4th edition, but I've been so busy with work that my brain does not seem keen on learning any new rules systems. I briefly entertained an idea involving Mini Six, but I don't know how familiar my players are with it.

That's all I got. Dystopia, the long lost reasonable iteration of Palladium, and swapping one game for another.

3 comments:

  1. I've found that the new Mongoose Traveller system is really not too differnt than the Classic Traveller version. Not quite as much death at Chargen and a few other tweaks, but it isn't a terribly complicated system by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't seem complex, no... I'm just mentally tapped out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not realize Sommer Leigh was your wife...some of those hits were from me!

    ReplyDelete