Friday, September 24, 2010

Bless My Soul!

Starting next week, I am teaching The Hobbit to my seniors. I was delighted to find it on my curriculum list, and I wonder how I missed it last semester.

I started rereading the book today, as I last read it when I was in the sixth grade. I had forgotten how charmingly written this book is, in contrast to Fellowship, which I remember being somewhat slow and boring. (Then again, I haven't read any of the LotR trilogy since I was in 8th or 9th grade...perhaps those deserve another look.)

Anyway, I find the simplicity of this tale to be refreshing. I have been suffering a profound lack of motivation for all things gaming recently, and I actually feel a bit of a boost even from reading just the beginning chapters.


...granted, my group still wants to do something with science fiction, but I feel like my imagination and/or sense of wonder just got a shot in the arm.

Hmm... while I'm at it, I'd better design some lessons...

6 comments:

  1. If you can get a hold of it, I highly recommend the audio version by Nicol Williamson:

    http://www.nicolwilliamson.com/?p=125

    Love the hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might need to get hold of an audio version this weekend... my school is about ten books short of a class set, and although I'm in the process of borrowing some from other schools in the district, I have no idea how long it will take for them to actually arrive. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, where do you teach. I think "The Hobbit" is in our curriculum in Gilbert, AZ as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nebraska. I didn't notice it on the list last year, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It's part of the senior level "Heroes and Leaders" unit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We read The Hobbit in 10th grade. Or reread it to be precise.

    You should make your students (sorry! LET your students) sing the musical numbers; tell them it will be like GLEE...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I do have one choir member in this class...

    ReplyDelete