Saturday, March 5, 2011

High Compliment

On the way home from last night's game, my wife told me how much she loves my NPCs. She said that when I take the role of an NPC, my entire demeanor changes; not just my voice, but my facial tics, posture, range of expressions, etc. She says my different NPCs have different senses of humor and even when multiple NPCs are present, there's no question which one of them I "am" at a given time. She said the best part about this is that I don't even know I'm doing it.

It was the nicest gaming related compliment I've received in a long time. It made my night, quite honestly.

However, now I must try not to pay attention to it when I'm gaming...

Last night was another night of winging it, as I was so tired when I got home from work that I went to sleep rather than prepare for the game. It still turned out pretty well. I dropped two big secrets about the campaign sub-sector, but in retrospect I don't regret this, because the game was in the early stages of adopting a formulaic approach to things: get cargo/passengers, arrive at destination planet, get involved in some unrelated trouble, get more cargo and passengers, depart, rinse, repeat. I have actually dropped something in their laps that they seem to be fascinated with, and I can already feel their interests changing direction.

This weekend will be kind of a first for me (or at least the first in as long as I can remember) where I game every single day. Friday was my campaign, tonight is my friend's birthday 3.5 one shot (I'm not a fan of 3.5, but it's his birthday so let's do this) and tomorrow is the Sunday group's experiment with Shadowrun 2nd edition.

Game on, dear friends.

3 comments:

  1. She's ruined it for you.

    Now that you're aware of it, you won't be able to do it instinctually. Your brain will get in the way. Like if someone throws a ball at you, you'll probably catch it. But if they say "Catch!" your brain will engage, start thinking "What?" and a good chance you'll muff it.

    Does your wife try to sabotage you like this a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing about your stab at 2E Shadowrun.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work - Congratulations and a bit envious here!

    ReplyDelete