Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CJ Carella's Witchcraft

I used to be quite the fan of Eden Studios back in college... I loved AFMBE, Conspiracy X, the Buffy/Angel games, etc... but the one Eden game I always wanted to try but never got the chance to was Witchcraft. The game released a second edition early into last decade, but as far as I can tell, it is out of print.

Witchcraft is kind of the game that I wish Mage: the Ascension had been. I'm not knocking on Mage, because I still have a soft spot for it, but I always felt that it didn't quite fit into White Wolf's "old World of Darkness" as well as Vampire and the like. Witchcraft actually seems like a game that better shares the mood and feel of classic White Wolf.

Let me also say that I dig on CJ Carella's work, and it really is too bad that he apparently left the gaming industry a few years back. (I recall there was a thread over on Big Purple asking where he'd gone, and he was actually good enough to show up and explain to his fans why we don't see any new Carella stuff anymore) CJ also created Nightspawn/Nightbane for Palladium, which I think is rockin' awesome, concept-wise. (It uses the Palladium rules, of course, which is a strike against any game)

I happened across a used copy of Witchcraft at the used book store (incidentally, that copy of RIFTS Gold Edition I posted about a month or two ago is still there...) and I happened to have a coupon, so I snapped it up. I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to run it, but it's good to actually have it in my collection at long last. The wife said she'd actually be interested in playing it. She was also quite delighted to learn that it is compatible with AFMBE. (My wife loves her some zombies)

My collect-o-philia is clearly incurable.

5 comments:

  1. My buddy offered to give me the Witchcraft books - all new and in radical shape. He had no idea what they were, but I did. I told him that he should sell them. I couldn't take them in good conscience knowing what they were worth. Damn...I would have played the shit out of them, though. Great game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what is it with witches and witchcraft lately? Everyone seems to have it on the brain...I've been emailing back and forth with subject matter expert Tim Brannan trying to get updated on "pop witch culture." Jeez...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can get the core book in pdf for free at rpgnow. pretty sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you can get it on PDF, because I think it's a game that should stick around. Of course, I gotta have books; PDFs just don't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost all the way threw the book, and I'm hoping to start running a game soon.

    ReplyDelete