Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sunday Group Exile

My Sunday group has asked a player not to return. Although we once asked a GM to step down (he still played in a the group for awhile afterward, though ended up moving out of state) this time we have out and out asked a player never to return.

I may have mentioned him once or twice; he was the fellow with the iGadget he liked to wave around during game sessions. I had a lengthy post on why we kicked him out, but I'll just condense it and say that he was not a good fit, personality wise, with the rest of the group.

Oh, and he left a giant QT cut full of tobacco chew-spit* at the host's house, despite having been asked to take it with him and dispose of it elsewhere. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm actually hoping that this event we have just experienced convinces the group that my xenophobia/elitism isn't always a bad thing...  

Anyway... the Sunday group moves on. We've restarted the Deadlands game that we put on hold in December. We're alternating Deadlands and Stars Without Number. This week will be SWN session 2.

The Sunday crew might be attending a small convention together this Saturday. It's in my home town, about fifty miles away. I went with two other friends of mine last year. It's a pretty humble con, but I'd like to see it grow. I find that I am not quite as jazzed about con season as I was last summer, but I think it might be fun to get out and away from the table with the Sunday group. Monte Cook once posted his "10 Rules of Gaming," and although I have forgotten nine of them, I remember that one was "Never game with someone you wouldn't spend an evening with doing something else." (Probably badly paraphrased, but you get the idea) Given the somewhat sparse programming schedule, we likely won't be doing any rpg play at this con, but there are other things to do as well. I'm currently unable to drink due to a prescription I'm taking, so this year I don't have to worry about getting chastised for not sipping my scotch properly.


*If you chew and are offended...well...chew is fucking vile. Deal with it. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I've only once had the misfortune of playing with someone *I* never wanted to have back, but it seems weird to 86 folks...I mean it's just a game after all, right?

    Still, at my age (and probably yours), time is too short to waste with idjits when gaming sessions are too far between. Here's another place where I take MY page from Ron Edwards: think of gaming sessions as auditions, and if a person doesn't cut it, cut 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to experience occasional pangs of guilt over my "elitism," but now I'm totally down with being elitist. (This is what one of my nerd-friendly colleagues calls me)

    ReplyDelete