Thursday, May 19, 2011

Namin' Kingdoms, Preparing For Takeoff

There is a kingdom in my upcoming Pathfinder game called Gildred. What do you call people who are from Gildred? What adjective denotes something or someone that has roots in Gildred?

-Gildren
-Gildric
-Gildrish (Gildrish muthafucka, do you speak it?!)
-Gildridian (awwwwkward)
-Gildrecian (Pronounced gil-dreesh-en)
-Gilder (Maybe the language or the people only?)

I've been asking my players, but I also ask you, fellow bloggers.

Pathfinder is supposed to start Friday. I do not feel ready, though I cannot put my finger on why, exactly. This was actually a recurring thing with d20; I never felt like I knew the system *well* enough. I was never completely comfortable winging it or changing it like I was when I ran 2nd Edition in high school...or hell, when I've run B/X, Cyclopedic, or AD&D1 as recently as last year.

PF is much crunchier than I like my games. However, I'm keeping it core rules only for now, and I think my wife and friends deserve to play something they really like. I was pretty much the only one who was really soured on d20, but since I was the DM...well... you know how it goes. After letting my own gaming preferences rule the roost for so long, it's time to be a team player.

...besides, I still have my Stars Without Number game to satisfy my need for simple, easily tweaked games.

4 comments:

  1. Regarding those rules, Pathfinder is built upon the same philosophy as 3.5. That is to say, players and DM are /equally/ responsible for the rules. There's a metagame element that requires the players to help adjudicate any maneuver, skill, spell or attack they perform. So it's not all on you. Just handle your side of things and ask that they do the same. :)

    I like Gildric by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gil-Folk

    Gildredian

    Gildish

    Or Gildre

    and Christian's advice is rock solid.

    System mastery which is what you are probably used too with simpler games is simply not going to happen with a second choice game with thousands of pages of rules. The game only needs to be good enough to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gildrecian" really sounds more like an adjective referring to things pertaining to Gildric.

    ReplyDelete