Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nothing to See, Folks

After several posts about evil characters and non-cooperative party members and heroes vs. villains and all that, I've decided to do a non-heavy, navel-gazing post. So, without further ado, a few random thoughts from this geekend:

-As I mentioned previously, Pathfinder did not run this weekend. This makes me sad. The silver lining is that I have three levels of mapped, stocked, and keyed dungeon levels ready to go for next weekend.

-I finally got to use my swanky Pirates of the Spanish Main rulebook. Pirates saved game night.

-One Sheets from Pinnacle rock my face off. We got through two of them and could have probably burned through a third, but we decided to pump the breaks. Pinnacle's downloads are truly awesome.

-I ran a game session that had absolutely no combat in it, which I love. Of course, the session that followed upon its heels had tons of combat, but SW combat usually goes pretty fast.

-I bought a fantasy novel this weekend; this is the first time I have done this in several years. I actually haven't read any fantasy since the Jack Vance binge I went on prior to running my AD&D1 game. This is a brand new book by a first time author, so you may revoke my OSR street cred at your leisure. The novel is called Path of the Dragon or somesuch. I can't remember the author's name, but I'm sure you can find it if you're really interested. I chalk this decision up to the lack of Pathfinder this weekend. (Borders was even completely out of Pathfinder books!)

-My brain, being stuck in Fantasy Mode, could not produce anything useful for Stars Without Number, which I am slated to run in about 13 hours. Luckily, I have a secret weapon. SWN will run as planned.

-I have more gaming crap that I will ever be able to use, but I think I'm finally okay with that.

-For no explainable reason, I kind of want to get my hands on either Mutants & Masterminds 3rd edition, or the compatible DC Heroes RPG.

-I'm not sure why Borders firmly believes that Ultimate Magic for Pathfinder doesn't come out until July 12th; it is available on Amazon and I have seen it, physically, at two different LGS'.

-I am somewhat rethinking my stance on low-magic... a lot of the things I want to do with the campaign are sort of high magicky. Of course, a world can be full of magic without it being common among mortals... perhaps magic isn't as common as it once was, and magical crap remains from this previously magic-heavy time. Maybe the level of magic in the world ebbs and flows, a la the Shadowrun/Earthdawn continuum.

-Which reminds me...I never did finish reading that old Earthdawn 2nd book I got... or OpenQuest...and Rolemaster has been daring me to overcome my hatred towards it...

Once summer school is over in July, perhaps it will be time for a gaming book binge...

No comments:

Post a Comment