Sunday, July 10, 2011

Less Conan, more Blackstar?

I am about to leave for 2nd edition Shadowrun.

I just wanted to note, however, that Science Fantasy seems to be all the rage these days... lots of D&D based "raygun and rocket" type games cropping up. I downloaded two or three yesterday. Humanspace Empires, and.... you know, I don't even remember the other two at the moment. I will try to digest them some after this afternoon's Shadowrun game.

...or, you know, this could be old news and I am just now stumbling on to it. I have been trying to read different blogs lately.

Also, I finally cracked 100 followers. It only took me 2 1/2 years. I don't need Cyclopaetron (sp?) and his monthly blog stat chart to know how lame that is.


...and actually, now that I think about it, Blackstar is probably not a great comparison, but I actually need to be out the door now.

10 comments:

  1. I don't think one could go wrong taking a bit of inspiration from Blackstar.

    As to the followers thing, it's certainly not the sole measure of blog success--or even the most meaningful one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 followers is lame??? I have just 3 on the blog where I wrote my best stuff in your same timespan (okay, in Dutch). Never did much to promote it either tho.

    Congrats with your first one hundred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read any of the Science Fantasy games, but I like the idea. Which ones would you suggest?
    I'm working on ideas on my blog to use Gamma World, Masque of the Red Death and AD&D 2nd edition together.
    Kind of an homage to the section in 1st edition DM's Guide about using Boot Hill and Gamma World with AD&D.
    Please let me know what you think if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a moment I thought that you were drawing inspiration for a Science Fantasy game from Blackhawk.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk_(Tornado)

    Which wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nemo-

    The two I downloaded most recently are Humanspace Empires and Rogue Space. I didn't get a chance to read them tonight, but first impressions:

    1. They are both based off Ye Olde D&D, mechanics-wise. (Actually, there are two different versions of Rogue Space, one which resembles D&D a little more in that it uses all the polyhedrals)
    2. Rogue space is dead simple, along the lines of the Weird West RPG that's going around for a buck. You can even make the rulebook into a little booklet.
    3. Humanspace Empires has a lot more material to it. Still, I think it clocks in under 60 pages.

    I'll post more if I manage to get to them. In the meantime, you can find them here:

    http://www.roguespacerpg.blogspot.com/

    http://ixians.blogspot.com/2011/03/humanspace-playtest-draft-rules.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terminal Space looks rad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Space Adventures project that is all done bar the play-testing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would play a Blackstar game over most other genres; but rockets and rayguns sounds a bit more Buck Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think perhaps robots n' rayguns was not the best descriptor for the games. However, a lot of them are more similar to Buck Rogers than Blackstar. At any rate, the sci-fantasy goodness is a welcome change from the myriad Conan and Cthulhu influences.

    ReplyDelete