Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Minor Frustration

So, I love my local con, but their gaming room leaves a lot to be desired.
Well, let me retract that. Two years ago, when they farmed it out to another local con (which is specifically a gaming con and nothing else), it was great... you could sign up to run a game online.The information you provided was posted as a hard copy sign up sheet at the convention. You could walk up, see what games were running, sign up, rock out.

Last year, the local con decided to do it in-house. There was no way to sign up online. They were, at best, uncommunicative via email. Most of the games ended up being pick-up games, and we were ushered out of the gaming area at 10 pm (seriously?) because they had booked another event in the gaming space.

This year, I was proactive and contacted them plenty early. I was directed to the guy in charge of gaming. I emailed him asking about a schedule. He said something about one being on Facebook, but damned if I can find it. We went back and forth about times being open, which is hard to do when the person you are contacting isn't specific about which times are open. I finally asked for a specific time slot and never received a reply. My wife looked over the convention schedule and it looks like I asked for a time slot that conflicts with the opening ceremonies. Good thing we looked, as I've yet to receive a reply from the guy in charge of gaming.

Meanwhile, I decided to try emailing the address that they have listed on their website for gaming. My email bounced. Yes, that's right, my email bounced.

You know what? Screw it. I'm grabbing an empty table, setting up shop, and if people play, they play, and if they don't, I'm off to the room parties.


Edit: Since I started this blog post, I have since found the flyer... it was emailed to me by an acquaintance of mine. My game isn't on it. His game isn't on it. In fact, there are only a few games on it, and they appear to be the ones run by con staffers.

Looks like it will be a pick-up game. My acquaintance and his guests will be playing. Some members of the Friday and Sunday groups will be playing. If a passer-by or two wants to pull up a chair, they are more than welcome.

Thanks to Dave for finding that flyer. I don't know where you found it posted, because I cannot, for the life of me, find it anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the organizers couldn't lead ants to a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the local con is quite fun, I assure you... like I said, it's the gaming room that has left a lot to be desired this year and last. (In terms of organization... I did play in some fun pick ups last year.) I've emailed the ConMaster General, as it were, so hopefully he can shed some light on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome. :)

    I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete