Thursday, July 21, 2011

'Twas the Night Before Ye Local Con

Tomorrow, I will be heading out to the Local Convention for the third year in a row (and it is only the convention's fourth year in existence) along with the missus and a small cadre of our pals. I do expect to see the usual con suspects, including my acquaintances who I know only from conventions (Dave!) and the members of my old college sci-fi club, who I see only at conventions since they live 50-some miles away.

I am still suffering from GM burnout, but I am on the schedule, and I do not intend to flake out. Therefore, I purchased Hard Light, which I reckon to be Stars Without Numbers' version of The Keep on the Borderlands. (The Space Station on the Borderlands...?) Well, it's not a perfect comparison, but both modules serve similar purposes: they give the PCs a base of operations in a dangerous environment with some dungeons to explore and some interesting things to do at the base, plus plenty of hooks to throw at you. I'm also printing off some Savage Worlds One Sheet adventures from Pinnacles site. I think they will be perfect for convention gaming because they only take about an hour and they have very little prep work involved. Marathon gaming sessions, I find, don't work so well for conventions...everybody, including me, has other things they would like to do. (For one thing, I will be involved in a martial arts demonstration. I will also be attending a "steampunk social" with the missus.)

Ah, I also have an AD&D module (pretty standard dungeon crawl) ready to go as well. If the gaming room is barren, I shall make it...er....un-barren?

The last two years, I blogged once each day from the event, even once while heavily intoxicated. We shall see if I can keep that fine tradition up this year.

On another note, I was looking at my blog stats tonight, and I had to share the two most disturbing search terms that brought people to my blog:

1. "CJ Carella passes away"- I hope to gods this isn't true. I dug around on the internet a little bit after reading that, but there doesn't seem to be anything to corroborate it. Please do not take this as fact or even rumor.
2. "Will doing good counteract the bad I have done"- I find this one slightly disturbing, if only because someone is apparently treating Google as some kind of advice dispensary.

Oh, and I've also noticed that I get a heck of a lot of traffic from people who are looking up information about Stars Without Number. This makes me glad to see a game I have enjoyed so much generating interest, although it does cause me to consider that perhaps I am paying too much attention to a single game.

...ahhhh, fuggit...if it's a great game, I'ma write about it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to run over my modules one more time so they are fresh in my noggin for tomorrow's festivities. Go Local Con!

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time at the con Ryan. And I need to read my copy of Stars Without Numbers. Everyone seems to be raving about it.

    ReplyDelete