Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bookstore Prowling

I hit up the used bookstore today, for the first time in a long time. I ended up picking up a copy of Monte Cook's World of Darkness, a book about which I have been curious for some time. I've perused it this evening and I have to say that I really like the setting. I dig the Iconnu/Nightmare Wave/Intrusion business, I dig the alternate take on vampires and werewolves, and I dig that humanity isn't totally helpless against the unknowable. I haven't really gotten into the crunch/rules yet, though. I will probably go back to reading it after I post this, as I am getting tired of staring at the computer screen tonight.

I could have easily spend more money than would have been good for me. I did notice a few other things:

-Someone finally bought that RIFTS Gold Edition that has been sitting on the shelf for... I don't know, a year?

-On the other hand, those two copies of Terra Primate are still there, and one of them still costs more than the other, even though there is no discernible difference in their physical conditions.

-A truckload of RIFTS stuff has appeared. It makes me want to start tinkering again, but down that road surely lies madness.

-Old World of Darkness stuff was there, including Project Twilight, which I always wanted to get back in the day but never did. Of course, now I don't think I could buy a book with the word "twilight" in the title in the context of vampires and werewolves...

-Two more Rolemaster boxed sets, which are different than the one I bought there two years ago. I don't know my editions of Rolemaster very well, and after my disastrous experiences with the MERPS and that other RM boxed set I bought, I have no wish to investigate further.

-Vintage FASA Dr. Who RPG. I'm not really a Dr. Who buff, though, and I'm damn sure not going to pay $75 for a roleplaying game.

-A copy of The Dark Eye basic rulebook (the official English translation of Das Schwarze Auge), but my German friend has insisted that they translated the "crappy edition" of the game.

-A boxed set of the Birthright campaign setting. They wanted $50 for it, but the label warned that it didn't have any of the war cards. No war cards?! Screw that.

They are having a sale over Labor Day weekend, and if I'm not mistaken, the discount might be stackable with my teacher discount. This might well weaken my resolve and send me back there.

Tomorrow is the Sunday game, but given how behind I am on grading and whatnot (yes, already) I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it.

4 comments:

  1. you got my hopes up w/ the fasa Dr. Who til I saw it was $75. Does it use the d6 system like Shadowrun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what system it uses, actually. I would guess that it doesn't use the Shadowrun system, because all the old FASA games used different rules. (Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Mechwarrior, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I'm running Rifts next week. You know its the coolest game ever. You should run it also.

    ...of course I'm using a different system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Chris mentioned that. You have some kind of house system you use for everything, yes?

    ReplyDelete