Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Gears Keep Turning

I ran my all-ladies (well, excepting me, of course) game last night. We played for about two and a half hours. (The sessions with this group must be shorter, because it's on a week night and everyone has work the next morning.) This group is pretty dialogue/roleplay intensive; it was an hour into the game before anyone even made a roll of the dice. We had no combat this session, and in fact only one combat the entire campaign thus far. (Admittedly it has been a pretty brief campaign)

My players complimented me once again on my distinctive voices. I was pretty pleased with my ability to react to their avenues of investigation. There were a few clues and even an entire lead I dreamed up on the fly, because in investigation-oriented game, I prefer to accommodate the PCs lines of inquiry, rather than make them "click around" until they chance upon what they are "supposed" to.

The game is going well, and I look forward to next week's game.

Finally, a brief "wtf" moment for me: I have started teaching an afterschool program at an elementary school near the high school where I teach. (Though I am home sick today) I was assigned a small class of fifth and sixth graders. Yesterday as they were completing their math homework, one of them was talking about playing Grand Theft Auto. I asked, "Aren't you a little young for a game about killing and stealing? How old are you?"
"Ten," he replied.
I then realized that I was playing Dungeons & Dragons at his age, a game that features killing and looting quite prominently...

2 comments:

  1. You lucky dog! Our own sessions run about 2 1/2 to 3 hours with a heavy emphasis on actual role-play/dialogue... Sounds like a lot of fun.

    W/ regard to GTA: IMO, they'll be fine. Safely exploring those subjects and having some degree of control over them is a far cry from being an actual victim or a post-pubescent who gets off on such things.

    Creeping grayness can be bit of a shock now and then though - I can testify!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify: "a post-pubescent who perhaps over identifies with such things.." is maybe what I should have written.

    ReplyDelete