Sunday, September 11, 2011

Those Neat Little Merit Badges

I love the Merit Badges over at Strange Magic. As I thought about which ones would apply to me, I found that I had trouble deciding. I think that I try to run each of my campaigns differently. My AD&D 1st edition campagin, for instance, would have an almost entirely different set of badges than the game I ran for the missus and friends last week. I would say that the way I ran Traveller or Pathfinder would also have different badges. I think I'd find them more useful as sort of a "rating system" for a particular campaign, rather than a particular GM's stamp collection. My AD&D1 game was highly tactical, very deadly to PCs, and had both gonzo and disturbing elements. My Savage Worlds game, on the other hand, would be better described as "safe" and focuses more on character development. I think most of us actually have several different styles of GMing that we use depending on the game and the audience.

I can think of a few players I've gamed with over the years who would greatly benefit from the "Run", "Tactics", and "Investigation" badges -or lack thereof- being prominently displayed prior to the start of a campaign.

8 comments:

  1. WTF, AF UKKING 'MERIT' BADJ? WHAT ARE Y OU GONNA DO? HAVE YOUR MOMS SO THEM ONTO YOUR T-SHERT TO WAIR TO GINCON???
    IS THERE ONE FOR BEING TOTAL FUCKTARDS?? CUZ I THINK YOU AM DERSEVE WON ANYWAY!!1

    HAVE A NICE DAY :p
    -NUNYA

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVERYBODY NOES YOU DON"T SEW MERITT BADGES TO A TEA SHIRT YOU FUCKWIT YOU SEW THEM TO AN OFICIAL OSR SCOUTS SASH
    ALSO I HAVE MY MERITT BADGE IN SEWING FOR TOO WEEKS NOW SO I CAN DO IT WITHOUT MOMMY"S HELP THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!2!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....hey,wait... did someone say Gin-Con?

    I am totally down for Gin-Con.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo ah own nunya's motha.
    ah sew badge on her #### slap mah fro!

    -Yo dear pimp just like mammy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go back and forth about allowing anon comments on my blog. Interesting case study here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU MADE BRO?
    http://www.memecreator.net/futurama-fry/generated.php?imgid=424

    KEEP BEING TEH AWSUM!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S - TAHT BY ME, NUNYA

    ReplyDelete