Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thoughts Errant

My hood, but time has been flying lately.

I haven't been working very diligently on my Shadowrun to SWN conversion, since it is unlikely to be run anytime soon. (Or possibly ever...) I am not abandoning the project, as I'd love to have a rule set to play Shadowrun with that isn't quite as wonky as Shadowrun.

I've been pouring through The Secret Fire, and while there are one or two small things I'm not really down with, I am pretty much on board with this game. In fact, I have a few friends I might want to try it out with, while also trying out this Google Plus business. I continue to be intrigued by the number puzzles, particularly the obsession with Circles of Eight, but I need to ignore it for the time being or it will consume my soul. I'm going to start seeing the number 34 everywhere.

...also, apparently The Secret Fire refers to something in Tolkien lore. I have to confess that I really don't know that much about Tolkien's cosmology, and that I like The Hobbit waaaaaaaaaay more than the Trilogy.

My kung fu bros have mentioned the idea of playing again, maybe once a month, at the school. I'd be down. We're probably talking B/X this time, with no bells or whistles. Apparently our sifu would like to try D&D, or at least learn more about it.

I ran a game for an all girl group this last week. I'm going to come right out and say this: an all girl group plays very differently than a mixed group or an all guy group. The players loved the session and I have to admit I had quite a bit of fun, too. It was the first time I've run something since the Local Con back in July, and only the 2nd time I've run something since the untimely death of my previous campaign.

I need to make my character for the Viking AD&D game. (The one that runs opposite the regular AD&D game) I sketched out an idea for a Roman-esque cleric who came to the North to spread monotheism to the heathen folk, but now he's kind of stranded there since his Empire has been sacked by barbarians. I'm also looking at playing a skald-like bard, ready to jump up on tables in mead-halls and brag about that time that his King wrestled two giants and then killed a sea monster on his way home.

....goddamn do I hate that CGI Beowulf movie...

I have until tomorrow to decide if I'm running a game at the Very Nearby Con at the end of this month. If I decide to, it will definitely be Stars Without Number, but I'm stuck between a few premises. Maybe I can come up with a synopsis that is vague enough to cover all of them, and then I'll run whichever one I can put together most easily in then next few weeks. Events I'm planning to register for include a session of Last Unicorn edition Star Trek: TNG, Werewolf: the Wild West, and possibly a game of Pathfinder. (Although not one of those organized play things, because I really hate organized play...*)

Palladium is finally putting out the New Generation sourcebook for Robotech, but apparently I'm the only gamer on Earth who liked the manga-sized sourcebooks, so they are switching back to normal size. This vexes me, because now my set will be asymmetrical. (What? Palladium did something that irritates me?!)

I imagine I will spend this weekend finishing off The Secret Fire, pawing through my still new-smelling copy of Savage Worlds Deluxe, and playing AD&D 2nd** edition on Sunday. Holler.


PS- Though I'm still getting hits from that weird "gothbook" website, the have finally dropped back below hits from nearby, allied blogs. This fills me with a strange, but very palpable relief.





*Yes, I tried an RPGA game once and it was godawful.
**Well, more like AD&D 1.5, but who is keeping track?

1 comment:

  1. Damnit! I knew there was another reason that I hated Neil Gaiman. That was the only time I ever walked out of a cinema screening - halfway into the film it just got too much for me and I left. What a mockery of an adaptation.

    ReplyDelete