Monday, October 31, 2011

...but I know what I like...

There seems to be a recent cavalcade of bitchiness regarding art.

I'm going to focus on something positive about gaming art, inspired by both another blog post and a quick leafing through of an AD&D book this evening:

I love Larry Elmore.I have loved his work since I was in 5th grade, even though it would be years before I knew all those pieces I loved were by the same artist, or even what that artist's name was.

I love Larry Elmore's luxurious, full page art that can be found scattered through 2nd edtion AD&D and 4th Edition Gamma World. (That is, the actual 4th edition of Gamma World, not the Gamma World 4E that is based on D&D 4E)

It wouldn't be much of an exaggeration to say that the man illustrated the best years of my childhood.

I'm not saying he's the greatest artist of All Time Ever Forever, or that he's better than whatever gaming artist you like; I'm just saying that his work captured my imagination at a young age, and that for a long time, his stuff was what D&D looked like in my head.

3 comments:

  1. I like Elmore, too. The man can paint and I think he does it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Elmore. For me though it's Erol Otus. And Trampier. And Dee. And, well, you know where I'm coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christian- I just took a spin around his website... lots of stuff I'd never seen before, but still familiar nonetheless. It definitely puts my brain in AD&D mode.

    Dave- I do indeed. I'd probably have similar feelings about those artists if I'd been from that generation of gamers.

    ReplyDelete