Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Other Side of the Screen

I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I didn't go to Sunday gaming.
Toward the end of the night, I was feeling better, so Mike suggested having me join via Skype. Back when I ran AD&D 1st edition in 2009, I had a player who played via Skype, and most of the time it worked fine.

Tonight was a different story.

With the TV going upstairs, crappy video quality, and watery sound, I really didn't get much out of the session. I think I killed an orc at some point, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure why it was so sub-par for me when Kurt was not only able to participate, but was often the de facto leader of the party in my game. Sure, we had some nights where technical difficulties were rampant, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

I tried to experiment with the Hangout function on GPlus last night, but nobody was around. It took me a long time just to get picture and sound going.

Yes, all this wonderful social technology aside, I think face to face 'round the table is really the way to go.

Anyone else care to share their distance gaming experiences?

4 comments:

  1. I think I played a single session of Star Frontiers on IRC once, but that's it. I keep meaning to try some Google+.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your comment about just missing my experimental hangout. I will try to set up another one sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been playing a weekly game via G+ and it's been working really well.

    One of the things I did was to limit the campaign's scope to primarily dungeon delving. No large scenes to describe; limited choices of direction; and there are enough mapping tool that the medium works out just as well as my white board back home.

    Similarly, I'm using B/X rather than my usual AD&D; the simpler ruleset has made quite a difference. Not old that, I tend to try and keep the number of combatants in what very combats there are to five or less.

    After accepting the limitations of the medium and designing a game to work around them, I can safely say that I've had one of the most successful G+ experience. With every session pack full of players and a waiting list of potentials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been having a blast playing using Google Hangouts. After you install the plug in, there's no more fiddling with software, just plug and go. We've started using the sketchpad to do our mapping. I just upload some tiles, and they put their tokens on the map. It's fun, and easy.

    You can read about it on my blog here: http://nowherecollective.net/2011/09/14/using-google-and-twiddla-to-game-online/

    ReplyDelete