Friday, October 14, 2011

Rangers: Totally Noobz0r?

Earlier this week, a student of mine who knows I play D&D asked me what character class I was currently playing. I told her that I'm playing a ranger (in Mindy's game), and she admonished me for playing a 'noob' character class.

...I thought about reminding her that I've been playing D&D literally longer than she has been alive, but thought better of it.

I also thought about asking her if any character class that originally appeared in The Strategic Review could possibly be considered new, but I'm pretty sure she would have no idea what I was talking about.

7 comments:

  1. Oh rangers are noob now, I better stop playing mine in the Castle Ravenloft board game. Don't want to look like I don't know what I'm doing. JK

    It's not really my fault any way, why did Tolkein let Leglos be such a noob to begin with, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, noob means played by newcomers, rather than "a new class." Still asinine, but understandable, especially since it 3e and somewhat in 4e rangers suck hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I know what noob means, I'm not a newb, JK Honestly me and my players just play what ever sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rangers suck in 4E? Widely acknowledged as perhaps the best striker class? They really don't suck when they have Twin Strike to use ALL THE DAMN TIME. Not that I'm bitter about my bad guys being felled like trees or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever DM for that student, hand them a pregenerated character using the ranger class from strategic review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are probably a MMORPG player. Rangers are considered a "noob" class. They are one of the easier ones to play in most games. Ranged attacks and often have pets to melee for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wymarc- Nah, this kid plays D&D. I've heard her say enough to know for sure.

    Otto- Yeah, I think she meant a class for newbies, hence my "playing longer than she's been alive" comment. ;)

    Her comment was all in good fun, though. I don't begrudge her, I just thought it was amusing.

    ReplyDelete