Friday, November 25, 2011

Play What You Roll

Mindy is starting up a game of Stars Without Number, as Mike may need to take a hiatus from running his Viking game. (And even if he doesn't, it will be handy to have a back up game for when neither of the main games can run)

Man, I rolled some crap-ass stats.

My character's stats don't really jibe with what I wanted to do, but I am a big believer in playing what you roll. There will be other games and other characters.

Luckily, SWN has pretty muted ability bonuses/penalties, so this character is pretty playable. I was also able to massage the stats into two workable characters:

1. Grolag, a hochog warrior. Having just left his nomadic clan to see the galaxy, he's hoping to find something worth fighting for besides credits. His clan leaders know he will eventually grow out of this youthful enthusiasm and rejoin the clan... or he'll wind up dead over some lost cause.

2. Feen Yisoo, a qotah warrior. Feen's flock served as a secretive guild of assassins and spies. Being headstrong and sometimes not very bright, Feen killed the wrong alien dignitary and was exiled by his flock. He wanders across the galaxy, selling his services. He's a carefree, happy-go-lucky libertine who just happens to be a merciless professional killer.

Even when I have character creation hiccups like this, (I had initially envisioned playing a human engineering expert with a naval background) I always find some way to make it work. Truth be told, I prefer random character creation to point buy. When I have to build a character, especially in an open point buy like GURPS or Shadowrun 4th edition, I spin my tires endlessly and usually end up making a character that I like on paper but am miserable playing in the game. With random character creation, my chronic "character creation indecision" is partially taken out of the equation. I have a lot more fun filling in the holes with my imagination than having every single point allocated for maximum efficiency.

I look forward to a fun weekend of gaming.

1 comment:

  1. "With random character creation, my chronic "character creation indecision" is partially taken out of the equation. I have a lot more fun filling in the holes with my imagination than having every single point allocated for maximum efficiency."

    Absolutely. I got a strong preference for character creation systems that have strong random elements - if for nothing else, the endless articles about 'optimum builds' scream 'computer game' or, worse, 'tournament wargame', rather than role playing game.

    ReplyDelete