Sunday, December 25, 2011

Xmas, SWN, and a Bit of Nostalgia

Hope you're all having a good Yule or whatever it is you celebrate.

My wife has given me a copy of Stars Without Number "deluxe" (the hard cover Mongoose edition) I can finally be one of the cool kids at the Sunday group table. Hot damn!

Christmas also marks the anniversary of my spiral into the ranks of the roleplaying gamer. On Christmas Day, 1989, my grandma gave me a copy of the board game Hero Quest. HQ was essentially a very simple dungeon crawling roleplaying game, as well as an introduction to the setting of Warhammer. I actually still have a copy of the game, though sadly it is not my original copy.(Actually, not so sadly...that thing was in absolute shambles last time I saw it.)

I wouldn't actually play my first game of Dungeons & Dragons for another two years, but the foundation was laid as soon as I cracked open that box.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays! Good score on the SWN Deluxe Edition! I'm very happy with my copy!
    Just trying to figure out how to play Rifts with it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun facts:
    AD&D was first described to me as "Heroquest without the board". I have HQ minis duking it out on my desk and Fimir in my megadungeon.

    ReplyDelete