Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yeah, I gotta mention 5e

Wotsee has made some bold and ambitious statements regarding the next edition.

If they can really pull it off, they could potentially solve the fragmentation of the D&D game. It would certainly be something to see.

I'd be lying if I said I was sorry to see 4th edition go. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't damn curious what Monte Cook has planned, even if I'm not inclined to convert again. (To date, the only version of the game I haven't given a look-see is 4E Essentials.)

A single version of the game that appeals to everyone seems very unlikely to me. Not impossible, mind you...just unlikely.

We have along wait ahead of us, however. For the time being, I'll be playing in Mike's 2e game and sketching an outline of a B/X game that I may or may not ever run. I might also end up running Pathfinder again.

What I'm really most hoping for is the return of classic products (in PDF, likely.. POD is really hoping beyond hope.) If the new 5E can really do it all, why not make all those awesome things available for this Brave New World of D&D to enjoy?


...well, except for the VHS tape that came with the Dragonstrike board game... I suppose some things can remain in the TSR vaults.

1 comment:

  1. What do you have against hyperreality?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete