Friday, March 16, 2012

Ups and Downs

Let's see...

Mindy decided that she's not going to run RIFTS after all.

My wife has decided she is not interested in Pathfinder because she wants to spend more time on her writing. This also puts the final nail in the coffin of my Savage Worlds steampunk ghostbusters game.

Our Sunday group lost one of the new guys, and Josh will be leaving us again because of the fickle and cruel schedule of his job.

Just when I was thinking "fuck it, time to sell my books and get a MMORPG subscription", Allias decides to try his hand at running games, and he's starting with Deadlands.

We ran one of the Savage Worlds "One Sheet" adventures tonight with about half of the Sunday group. I thought Allias did pretty dang well for his first time out. He's a little rough around the edges, but he handled a curve-ball we threw at him like a pro, and I think he will do just fine. He's planning to run in Mindy's game slot, though I'm not sure if he's planning to do a campaign or a series of one shots. I'm in, regardless.

Last summer, I did a rough but useable conversion of Shadowrun to Stars Without Number. (The posts are up on this blog, but I never did get around to consolidating them.) I am now working on a conversion of RIFTS to AD&D 1st/2nd edition. It is... time consuming, to say the least. While I posted my SR-to-SWN conversion, I'm afraid I won't be able to post my RIFTS-to-AD&D conversion, because I'm pretty sure I'll get a C&S letter dropped on me in no time.
I'm converting the game because I really, really love the setting of RIFTS, but the rules are ass. I'm also trying to scale the power level of the game down to something a little less insane, while still keeping (most) of the iconic classes and concepts intact. So far, I find that the combat classes map nicely to AD&D counterparts: Merc Soldier to fighter, Headhunter to ranger, Cyber-Knight to paladin, Juicer to barbarian (3rd edition raging barbarian, but still) and Crazy to monk...although the Juicer seems capable of being sort of a barbarian/monk hybrid.
My plan is to have a workable draft of the game ready by summertime, so I can run that Dinosaur Swamp game I've been periodically threatening my Sunday group with.

I'm still struggling lately with just how difficult it is to get some people in a room together at an agreed upon time so that we can game. I'm also really disappointed that I can't seem to get a game together with the people who live under the same goddamn roof as me.


Oh, two other silver linings:
1. Lord Gwydion finally finished his retro-clone of TSR's semi-forgotten DragonFist game, and

2. Shane Hensley of Pinnacle has stated that Hell on Earth reloaded is in some stage of layout, and should (finally) be out this year. Of course, many game companies have uttered these famous words of dubious veracity, but I'm holding out hope in my black, withered heart.

The Sunday game this week is Mike's viking epic. Having broken the Jotun force around Shadowdell, we have the opportunity to take the fight to them and lay siege to the Jotun fortress. Should be very exciting and far from an easy task.

3 comments:

  1. Mongol General: What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
    Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subotai: Hey, old man, where did you get this stuff?
    Wizard: The dead... the gods are pleased with you, they will watch the battle.
    Conan: Are they going to help?
    Wizard: No.
    Conan: Well, then tell them to stay out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever make your Shadowrun / SWN conversion available?

    It sounded really interesting, I'm a big fan of Shadowrun and SWN...

    ReplyDelete