Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Few Thoughts on DCC

I got my copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics in the mail today. I don't typically do reviews, but I will share a few thoughts:

-This is flavor country. Seldom in recent times has my mind been set racing by a gaming product, but DCC had my gears churning almost from page one. That is about the highest accolade I can give a gaming product, not that my accolades really mean anything besides one lone repeat customer lurking in the depths of the internet.

-At last, a D&D-esque magic system that almost has the feel I want right out of the box.

-Great way to simulate feats without recreating the godawful bloat that is feats in d20. 

-My gods, he made halflings into an appealing looking class. (Yeah, he rolls race as class. Deal with it.) It looks different than my version of the halfling, (which is essentially a fighter+thief in the way that the Cyclopedia elf is a fighter + mage) but I definitely like what I see.

-I find it a bit fiddly that there are multiple crit tables for PCs and then another set entirely for monsters. A screen would be a nice remedy, since I don't like "permanent bookmarks" in my game books. Of course, they don't make a screen, and the screen runs contrary to the game's philosophy that the judge should make all his rolls out in the open.
edit: Jeremy over at People Them With Monsters has created a printable booklet of all the major tables from DCC, including said crit tables.

-The fact that Zocchi dice rolls are built into the rules is fucking annoying. I don't want to pay 12-18 bucks for a set of one of each of them. (For 19, I can get a freaking pound of regular dice!) The workarounds will have to do for now, but even those are annoying to me. (Aside from the d3 and d5, which I have been doing for years)

-Impressive looking book. You could also, I wager, stop a small caliber bullet with it or bludgeon a troublesome player to death with it.

-Took some of the better points of d20 (ascending armor class and streamlined saves*), but skipped the rest.

-Thieves- Alignment effects on thief skills is a cool idea. Weapons that do special damage on a backstab is a cool idea. 


All in all, money well spent.



*I actually prefer descending AC and the crazy ass saving throws of old, but I recognize that the d20 way of doing these things is more streamlined and intuitive, and I concede that point.

4 comments:

  1. Are you going to play it? If so, please post your thoughts on how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was always my intention. I probably won't have time to play it until at least next month, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can guess at least 3 of the troublesome players on your list... I was impressed with the book! I am seriously considering picking it up too. Loved when you showed me some of those spell effects..awesome! And you never know when you'll have to stop a bullet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there's a spider that can stand up to the book. And if there is, I don't want to meet it.

    ReplyDelete