Saturday, July 7, 2012

KantCon: Day 1

Ahoy.

I'm at KantCon in Overland Park, Kansas.

Quick "Day 0" Recap- The missus and I arrived in town a day early. The local game store in OP, Tabletop Hobby and Games, was fairly awesome. There was a flyer for a weekly RIFTS game. Their gaming room is also bigger than my LGS in its entirety. I tried to buy some wacky dice for DCC, but they had just sold out of them. Foiled again.

Day 1- My morning game was cancelled. I started rolling up some Basic/Red Book characters to run through Death Frost Doom. A lady wandered over and asked me what I was doing. She was only familiar with 4th edition and D&D Next Playtest. She was curious, so she ended up taking on DFD solo. (I let her have one NPC companion.)

...she became the only person to have played DFD under me and survived. Granted, she did terrible things and the campaign world is now much worse off for it, but she survived.

She enjoyed Basic D&D. She said it was "very different" from what she knows of newer D&D. She seemed amused by the saving throw categories. She also turned out to be in from Canada. Weird.

In the afternoon, I played a game of AD&D 2nd edition that turned out be a fantasy version of Toy Story. I thought it was going to be lame, but it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. I got to play the young prince's stuffed red dragon.

In the evening, I played a game called Lady Blackbird. It was a strange combination of FATE and The Shadow of Yesterday. The system was decidedly indie. It was the most fun I've had gaming in recent history. It was a riot. The group was witty and they took to their characters very well. I got to play the Captain. Playing in this game was worth the trip alone. I might also download the system, since apparently it is available for free. (No link yet. I just woke up and I have yet to look for it myself anyway) Playing in this game was worth the trip alone.

I should also mention that there was a vendor with a huge OSRIC banner. (I want one, dammit) I perused his fine wares and walked away with a copy of Anomalous Subsurface Environment and Realm of the Technomancer. (A module for Labyrinth Lord or Mutant Future, depending on what end of the book you run it from...that kind of thing is right up my alley) 

This morning I am supposed to be running through a huge meat-grinder Greyhawk dungeon crawl, but I needed some extra sleep. I'll drop in late and see if I can play some expendable hireling or something. My schedule today is more nebulous, so I might try running a pickup game of Stars Without Number (I have something ready to go from last year's Local Con), B/X (I can do DFD again), Savage Worlds (I have a "Steampunk Ghostbusters" case ready that I never got to run) or I might check out a copy of Hero Quest (the Milton Bradley version) from the game library and see if anybody wants to take on the hordes of Zargon. I need to get showered and coffee'd before I had back.

Oh, I should also mention that Shane Hensley (creator of Deadlands and Savage Worlds) is here. He has been running packed Deadlands games. Maybe I could get him to sign my SaWo Deluxe. (Although that would make me feel a little bit lame, I do confess.)

I'm having a great time. I need to stop lollygagging with this blog and get back to it.


3 comments:

  1. "Lady Blackbird" is by John Harper and is available here:
    http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/

    He also did a game called "World of Dungeons" for the Dungeon World kickstarter that is fabulously old school. I might even like it more than DW. Not sure if that will be made available to non-backers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magical spells really work!! I never thought there were still honest, genuine, trustworthy and very powerful spell casters until i met the spiritual helper, MERUJA OWO. last week he did a love spell for me and it worked effectively and now he just casted another healing spell for my friend who has fibroid and family problem and now she is totally free and she is presently the happiest person on earth, she keeps thanking me all day..
    I just thought it would be good to tell the whole world about his good work and how genuine he is, i wasn't thinking i could get any help because of my past experiences with other fake casters who could not bring my husband back to me and they all promised heaven and earth and all they are able to do is ask for more money all the time until i met with this man. he does all spells, Love spells, money spells, lottery spells e.t.c i wish i can save every one who is in those casters trap right now because i went though hell thinking and hoping they could help me.i recommend MERUJA OWO for any kind of help you want.
    his email address is: nativedoctor101@live.com
    if you want to ask me anything my e-mail is: dorispinto1001@gmail.com
    Kind Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...are you fucking kidding me?

    I think I'll leave this spam up; it is by far the most entertaining I have received in awhile.

    ReplyDelete