Sunday, October 7, 2012

Another Brick in My Wall of Boxed Sets

A few weeks ago, I snagged a copy of one of the older printings of the Castles & Crusades PHB for two bucks. Today I was prowling the used section of the LGS when I found a smashed, beat to hell copy of the C&C "Collector's Edition" boxed set. The box was so mangled that I had to pry it open to look inside, but the booklets were in perfect condition and the dice were pristine and "uninked." They had it marked down to five bucks. so I figured why not? After all, now I have the complete game system. The box will likely have to go, unless I can beat it back into shape. If the stuff inside hadn't been in such good condition, I'd have given the whole thing a pass.

Just for fun (fun being a relative term), I colored in the numbers on the dice using the red crayon included in the boxed set. I ended up breaking the crayon. I have to say that pre-inked dice, for all their supposed inaccuracy, are my preference by a significant margin. I get the nostalgia angle they were playing for, but damn those are some ugly ass dice, even more so with red crayon filling in the numbers.

I also picked up a used but absolutely pristine copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics #9: Dungeon Geomorphs (also five bucks). My mapping skills are admittedly not my strong suit, and after awhile I start to fear that my dungeons get very "samey", so this will be a welcome source of modular map bits.

Granted, I'm not actually running a fantasy campaign right now, but I'm sure this stuff will come in handy in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment