Monday, November 12, 2012

X-Plorer Style Skills Pt. 2- A Few Basic Ideas

In a recent post, I toyed with the idea of using X-Plorer style skills in a D&D game.
TL/DR? Skills are baked into classes and work like saving throws. (d20, meet or beat) Fighter types have combat bonuses.


Since I want to begin tinkering in earnest, I'm setting out to make a list of skills for each class. When you create a character, you get X choices for skills.

I haven't made any decisions yet about cross-class skills or skills for multi-classed characters; for now I'm just trying to get a list hammered out. I'm sure I'll be paring this down.

My end goal is this: I want characters to be able to do things better than some other characters at certain things. Yes, I love the "anything goes" attitude of a skills-lite system, but I also have stated that I think a fighter who is imagined as a ranger should be better at certain stuff than a fighter who is imagined as a cavalryman. 

Classes will assume those found in B/X D&D. 

Fighter
-Weapon Specialization
-Martial Arts
(These two are straight out of X-Plorers and all Soldiers have them)
-Riding
-Repair Arms/Armor
-Feat of Strength (Basically like a bend bars/lift gate "heroic" burst of strength)
-Berserk
-Tracking
-Wilderness Survival
-Favored Enemy

Thief
-Open Locks
-Find/Remove Traps
-Climb Walls
-Move Silently
-Hide in Shadows
-Pick Pockets
-Hear Noise
-Backstab
-Read Languages/Use Scrolls
-Appraise Item

Cleric
-Religious Lore
-Demon/Undead Lore
-Field Medicine
-Inscribe Scrolls
-Mix Potions
-Turn Undead
-Clerical Magic
(I'm not for-sure in having the last two count as skills. Or I might and simply say that clerics are required to take them. Ditto with the creation of magic items)

Magic-User
-Magical Lore
-Monster Lore
-Ancient History
-Read Languages
-Inscribe Scroll
-Mix Potion
-Enchant Item
-Analyze Magical Item
-Cast spells

Dwarves
-Weapon Specialization (Restricted to axes, hammers, or crossbows)
-Repair Arms/Armor
-Feat of Strength (Basically like a bend bars/lift gate "heroic" burst of strength)
-Berserk
-Favored Enemy
-Detect Traps
-Appraise Item

Elves
-Weapon Specialization (Restricted to bows and non-two handed swords)
-Riding
-Repair Arms/Armor
-Tracking
-Wilderness Survival
-Favored Enemy
-Magical Lore
-Monster Lore
-Ancient History
-Read Languages
-Inscribe Scroll
-Mix Potion
-Enchant Item
-Analyze Magical Item
-Cast spells

Halflings
-Hide
-Weapon Specialization (Restricted to sling only)

Mystic (heck, why not?) Three picks?
-Ancient History
-Field Medicine
-Meditation
-Feat of Strength
-Acrobatics
-Martial Arts (required)
-Weapon Specialization

 


3 comments:

  1. Instead of class defining skills I like skills and abilities to define a character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I'm referring specifically to games that use class. In such games, class defines ability and skill. Even in SWN, your class determines what skills you can easily learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way SWN makes skills in backgrounds and packages into a way to distinguish and focus characters. I'm trying to remember if it was John Harper who said that a fun idea was to take the titles seriously for inspiration. You are a Peasant Warrior Templar!

    ReplyDelete