Thursday, January 24, 2013

Back to BTS

Since my schedule now permits, I have rejoined Steven's Thursday night campaign of Beyond the Supernatural. This is actually my second week playing with them. It's been a lot of fun so far. Steven is a GM who is able to mitigate the wonkiness of the Palladium system. Our team is currently investigating a pack of shapeshifting bear monsters who rather inconveniently dissolve into earth and bugs when we kill them. (Well, convenient in that there are no bodies to dispose of, inconvenient in that it is very difficult to learn anything about them)

I've had a big time World of Darkness (or just modern horror/supernatural) bug lately, and while this isn't quite there, it does satisfy that want to an extent.

On a related note, I think I have more modern supernatural/horror games than any other type of game, which is silly because I've played very little of that genre in the last five years. I have many of the Classic World of Darkness games, some of the new ones, Chill, Witchcraft, Armageddon, and probably one or two that I'm forgetting at the moment. I played a boatload of White Wolf games in college, but after I moved here I found that most of the local gamers I could find were more into D&D-style fantasy. My wife ran a few short World of Darkness campaigns, but the last of those ended several years ago.

My own "WoD Clone" progresses at a glacial pace, since I have a number of other things in my life that need my attention and are a much higher priority.

In other news, I've just about finished the first book of The One Ring, and I really like it a lot. I'm also waiting for the new Robotech rpg book to hit my doorstep, and I bought a computer game based on the English translation of Das Schwarze Auge. (I briefly considered picking up the English rules since I found them cheap, but they never published any supplements for it.)

Man, is it spring break yet? I need more time to read all this stuff!

1 comment:

  1. You could just learn German, I hear Rosetta Stone has a good deal :)

    ReplyDelete