Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nearby Game Day

Today I drove to a game day hosted by local con. (They have periodic game days throughout the year in and around my town) I specifically drove 40 miles because someone had scheduled a game of The One Ring. He didn't show. I was annoyed.

However, I did end up running a pick-up game of X-plorers, which several people played and enjoyed. Most of the people who played were mainly familiar with 3.5/Pathfinder, but they had a great time (even the guy who died horribly) and were delighted by how fun and light the system was. I'm not sure it will replace Stars Without Number as my sci-fi game of choice, but it was an interesting alternative. (Also, let's be honest: these two games are like 85% compatible) I ran the party through the Cleopatra Station module that comes in the boxed set. I did town it down a bit, because there were only three players and nobody rolled up a Soldier. (I didn't tone it down a whole lot, though...one of three PCs died, and one of the survivors had a single hit point left)

While I was very disappointed that I didn't get to play The One Ring, I did have fun running X-plorers, and I may have turned a player on to it. (He snapped a picture of the box and was very interested to learn that he can download the basic version of the rules for free)

Oh, and I played what was perhaps the most epic game of Talisman I have ever played, but I don't go into details. Suffice to say it couldn't have been scripted to be any more epic than it turned out.

The next game day is next month. I'm considering taking X-plorers out for another spin, but I have a lot of options now...maybe I should do The One Ring....or The Dark Eye...

My old Sunday group (that I haven't played with since July) is starting up a new Forgotten Realms AD&D 2nd edition game tomorrow. I'd like to attend, but I have a grade report deadline on Monday and it will depend on how much grading I get done tomorrow. I'm down to play AD&D 2nd edition, though I have to confess I'm not really all that interested in the Forgotten Realms.

1 comment:

  1. I think X-plorers is especially perfect for a con game, super fast set-up, easy rules and your good to go!

    ReplyDelete