Monday, February 24, 2014

RIP LGS

Many times in the blog, I've talked about my LGS, Local Gaming Store, that being the venerable Dragon's Lair.

Back in college, we used to road trip to this town to go to DL, just because it had way, way better stock than anything in my hometown. The hour drive was worth it.

The place was a dungeon: dimly lit, kind of cramped, with a bathroom that my wife was actually afraid of.

My wife bought her first dice there.

I bought many, many books there.

When I finally moved to this town permanently, I met my first local gamers there and played in a short-lived, admittedly terrible campaign, one where I met one of my dearest friends. (Who has played in 90% of the stuff I've run since 2005)

We used to joke about the owner being a curmudgeon.

Dragon's Lair burned down yesterday.

Last time I was there, which was pretty recently, I bought Deadlands: Hell on Earth Reloaded and Deadlands Noir. I used my fully punched loyalty card. I had no idea it would be the last thing I bought there.

I never did get around to attending an Anime Sunday.

I never did buy that hilarious Highlander ripoff rpg that sat in the used section for, I kid you not, at least ten years.
 
My wife and I happened to go to dinner and see the owner, his wife, and several of his employees at a table together. She overheard them already discussing insurance and new locations. There is also a secondary location on the west end of town, so all isn't lost.

Still, that old building... it was a fairly constant part of my life for a long time.

RIP, original Dragon's Lair

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Just got an email that my LGS in Seattle is closing up 60 days from March 1st, so I can empathize.

    But being burned to the ground? Not to be cruel, but isn't that really the only fitting end for a place called Dragon's Lair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's legit.

      DL has a second location out in the west end of town (where a ruffian like me is loathe to tread), and I'm confident that they'll put up a new "Main Lair" in time.

      Delete