Saturday, May 24, 2014

An Observation about Masque of the Red Death

...the Ravenloft thing, not the Poe thing.

I just noticed last night that Shane Hensley wrote much of the boxed set for MotRD. If you didn't know, Hensley created the Deadlands setting. I can totally see the parallels between the Gothic Earth setting and the Red Death and Deadlands with its Reckoners/Manitou.

There's a even a picture in A Guide to Gothic Earth that features a posse of undead cowboys that looks like it could've been pulled straight out of the original edition of Deadlands.

This means that my Ravenloft boxed set can also double as a sourcebook for Deadlands detailing the rest of the world. Sweet jesus.

This also brings to mind the time I set out to convert the entire Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Index to original Deadlands... I'm all about that Red Widow. 



2 comments:

  1. I used the rules bits in MotRD as the basis for a AD&D victorian-era space campaign and it worked fairly well I just had the horror elements be less common with more other stuff in between. I think that boxed set is a forgotten or at east under-respected gem of that era of D&D boxed sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've never had the chance to take a look at that box set. I really like Ravenloft although I've never run it.

    ReplyDelete