Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Icons Assemble!

So, I bought a hard copy of Icons: Assembled Edition.

I'm about halfway through the book, and I like what I've read so far.

Yes, it has qualities a la Fate, but they are only part of the system. There are stats everyone has, pretty standard RPG combat (rolls to hit, defense, Stamina points, etc) and even a default assumption that you will be generating a character via random roll. All of these are far more to my tastes than the hashtag orgy that is Fate. In fact, the text gives me ideas on how to to take the one or two bits from Fate that I like and tie them into a simple Fudge game or the like.

The only bit I'm not super clear on the concept of pyramid tests. It seems to be an unnecessarily jargon-y version of extended rolls/tests in other games. I'll just reread that part.

What I really like is that the random heroes and random plots sections can help me whip out an on-the-fly supers game, which could be handy at cons or the like.

A solid purchase. I'm glad I gave in.


No comments:

Post a Comment