Thursday, October 23, 2014

Six Shooters Vs. Gatlings and Other Tales of Woe

Deadlands rolls on.

We had two players rejoin us who hadn't been able to play for a couple of months.
Tragically, both of their PCs died.
The party engaged an automaton head on. Three lessons could be learned from this encounter:

1. Sometimes you should talk before you shoot,
2. Simply trading shots with an opponent who (literally) outguns you is just askin' for it, and
3. Sometimes it's better to just stay down when you're down.

The automaton actually had a bit of a story behind it, but the players done blowed it up, so I'm going to shrug my shoulders and move on.

Admittedly, my Deadlands game is really more like Wild Wild West + Ron Edward's Sorcerer + The Sopranos + one of those "Tycoon" simulator games. I have these rules for resources and wealth points and research points, players have different buildings they can use to produce things, etc. I think I'm going to keep it running like this until the PCs have managed to secure the entire town of Creede, after which we can look at changing things up or carrying on as-is.

The PCs have a stable of hired NPCs now (an occultist and some hired guns), an occult library, a demon summoning circle, a necromancy lab, and a silver mine to pay for it all.

While markedly different from my other DL games of days past, I'm enjoying it immensely.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds better than [my] average DL game.

    Just BTW: I love it when a PC goes down in a hail of bullets. Gosh...that could be the topic for another blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And not just any bullets, either... frickin' gatling fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I'm talking about!
    : )

    ReplyDelete