Friday, January 23, 2015

B/X WoD: Other classes?

So, I've got my basic four classes written up for B/X WoD: Vampire, werewolf, cambion, and witch. I feel like I'll eventually have the itch to add more classes. The other classes I'm considering:

-Some kind of fae-equivalent to the cambion, based heavily on manipulation and illusion. The main thing blocking me is pretty sad: I can't think of a good name. I'm not using changeling, because they aren't fairies who replaced human babies, they are humans who have fae ancestry. I was like "Faeling. Done." Then I realized that faeling sounds like failing and abandoned the name. Still working on this one.

-A shapeshifting class. I was initially into the idea of humans who transform into a specific animal. Other ideas: a werewolf-esque hybrid form at higher levels, a skinwalker-type who can assume multiple forms, a doppleganger-esque/face stealer type. (Although that seems more like a monster/antagonist...)

-A Frankenstein-esque heavy damage, monk-like class. (I'm really torn on this one, though because it seems kind of silly to me.) 

Stuff I was considering, but am no longer:

-An angel-descended class. It doesn't seem to jive with the WoD/dark/monster-y vibe I'm going for.

-Ghosts. Ghosts are a pain in the ass as PCs, unless all the PCs are ghosts. Also, a lot of ghost lore ties ghosts to specific locations/haunts.

-Mummies, a la Boris Karloff. I was juggling the idea around but couldn't find any way to make it work that didn't just seem like dried-up witches. I might introduce them as antagonists. Also, given their geographical origins, how many of them are going to show up in North America? (Which is where my game is set)

-Gaki, e-kuei, panangellans, etc: I plan to treat these as variant vampires rather than separate classes. I also think their presence in my default setting would be so rare as to not warrant a full writeup at first. 

-Any type of PC who isn't partially human, or originally human.

19 comments:

  1. My initial desire (after having read your write-ups) to have the same number of classes as B/X yielded -

    Cambion
    Ghost (but as you said a pain in the ass)
    Kindred (your elf class)
    Psychic
    Vampire
    Werewolf
    Witch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had plans for a rules add-on regarding "heroic mortals" (which you've probably seen mentioned in my class write-ups.) These cover things like humans with psychic abilities, monster hunters, etc. Of course, I could probably do a class writeup for Psychic with no problems.

    Kindred... I think I can work with something like that. What about Fae-kin? (Or is that too much like "fakin'?)

    I'm still firmly on no for ghosts, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or what about just 'kin' for the part-fae people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also toying around with the Fringer class (needs a new name). It's pretty much the Thief class as written with 1d4 hit dice if they don't have that already. I envision that the mortal/human classes are all at 1d4).
    With only one exception - he can perceive the supernatural/ethereal plane (I figure that only the PC classes can perceive the supernatural but his might also include ethereal sight).

    Might even acquire ghost spirit guide.

    I kind of picture them as posers who have acquired their thieving skills as a by-product in their quest to touch or become something other than mere mortal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envision most mortals having 1d4 hit dice, yeah. I think some like monster hunters might have higher hit die, but probably nothing above d6... they should never be as tough as vampires or werewolves.

      I like the idea of human supernatural poseurs.

      Delete
    2. In my horror/weird and pseudo-historical games I institute a 5HD cap for humans/mortals/etc. They can keep advancing in level and get much more skilled but their HP are locked at 5th level. That would definitely solve a toughness issue between npc mortals and the children of the night PC's in a game such as this.

      Delete
  6. Fahl - Fae who have "fallen to earth" due to their human tainted blood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farthing - "the least possible amount" of fae ancestry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apologies if I missed any of these

    Any of

    Mage (a hermetic style caster like an MU ) Changeling (fae blooded) , D&D styled monks with Chi Powers (alal the Akashic Brotherhood in world of darkness) Revanants ala The Crow opr any slasher for bad guys and three human classes , psychic, Expert (your thief skill guys) and Fighter might be fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really into the Revanent (ranger-like especially species enemy) class

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had to DM the game like say tomorrow I'd go w these seven classes

    FRINGER (Mortal Thief-type, new name needs to reflect mortality - only class w/out powers)
    KINDRED (Your Cambion and Fae-ling classes put together, choose ancestry)
    MAGIC-USER (Mortal, a little more lovecraftian than your witch class)
    PSYCHIC (Mortal)
    REVENANT (Resurrected but Doomed Ranger-type, w animal/spirit guide)
    VAMPIRE
    WEREWOLF

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry, here is my for lack of a better name Fringer class -

    1d4 Hit Dice

    Edge: re-roll any roll "luck" points

    Jack-of-All-Trades: All skills 18+ (if player can describe how he's familiar with skill question, never increases)

    Sixth Sense: senses trouble & the supernatural (works like skill and also adds elf class bonus to surprise)

    Skills: 3 at 16+, 2 at 14+, 1 at 12+
    (+1/lvl increase as normal)

    Thief Saving Throws

    Done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, here is my for lack of a better name Fringer class -

    1d4 Hit Dice

    Edge: re-roll any roll "luck" points

    Jack-of-All-Trades: All skills 18+ (if player can describe how he's familiar with skill question, never increases)

    Sixth Sense: senses trouble & the supernatural (works like skill and also adds elf class bonus to surprise)

    Skills: 3 at 16+, 2 at 14+, 1 at 12+
    (+1/lvl increase as normal)

    Thief Saving Throws

    Done!

    ReplyDelete