Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Control Freaking Pt. II

I did a thing I've never done before a few days ago; I asked a player to retire a character.

I'm all about player agency, but what do you do when you have a PC who just isn't suitable for the campaign? The fault was partially mine for allowing the character to begin with. I guess I didn't quite understand the PC's motivations and how they would likely conflict with the rest of the party.

It certainly makes me consider the balance between player agency and campaign integrity. It also reminds me of a time in college when my pal Glenn ran what he dubbed "The Dwarven Campaign." It centered around a besieged dwarven keep.  I had no interest in playing a dwarf, so I didn't play. Another friend wanted to play a non-dwarf sorcerer. The DM insisted, so he made a dwarven sorcerer and complained the entire time about how dwarves suck as sorcerers. (Keep in mind this was 3.0)

The player was pretty gracious about it and is rolling up a new character. I think this one will fit into the campaign structure better.

Deadlands continues this Friday, although now that the players are getting involved in the government of Colorado Territory, I think the game is going to get more sim-y.


No comments:

Post a Comment